FIVE ON FRIDAY: PORTLAND’S 2035 COMPREHENSIVE PLAN
The Comprehensive Plan is a long-range land use and public facility investment plan to guide future growth and the physical development of the city. The original plan was adopted in 1980. The new plan aims to address the needs of a growing city and takes effect in January 1, 2018.
1) What is Zoning?
- Zoning is a way for the city to regulate development and enact its goals for the community and the environment.
2) What does that mean for homeowners?
- Zoning will dictate what you can and can’t build on your property. For example: if your home is in an R5 Zone, it means you are allowed one dwelling for every 5000 square feet of land. Zoning will also affect the landscape around you. If your home is in an R1 zone, you might see multifamily developments being built next door.
3) How will the Comprehensive Plan affect homeowners?
- It depends on the zone. Some areas, especially along transit corridors will see increased density, more mixed-use construction, and taller buildings. Other neighborhoods won’t be affected at all.
4) Where can I find out if my zoning is changing?
- Here’s a link the plan’s map: https://www.portlandmaps.com/bps/mapapp. Per the site’s FAQ page: “The Comprehensive Plan Map shows a long-term vision of how and where the city will grow and change over the next 20 years to accommodate expected population and job growth.” In other words, it shows the future, while the site’s Zoning Map shows what is allowed today.
5) Can PGR help me better understand this?
- Of course! Give us a call.
FYI: we have an open house this Sunday, 9/17, from 1-3p for a brand new listing. Visit us at this amazing, mid-century 3-bedroom, 2-bathroom home in SE Portland; listed for $450k. Trust us. This one won’t last long. You’ll want to see it ASAP!
Have a fantastic day and a wonderful weekend, friends!
follow us on
facebook // instagram // pinterest // twitter