Tips for house buying during COVID-19
Housing hunting during this time can pose a few extra challenges and there are steps that we are taking so the process is smooth while keeping everyone safe. Overall, expect more FaceTime and less face-to-face. No matter how we meet we’ll be working hard toward your goal together.
- Get pre-approved or obtain proof of liquid cash funds. If you need help connecting to a lender please contact us. This can save valuable time and be more appealing to a seller. Some sellers are asking for this information prior to an in-person showing of a home.
- Find a home that you like? Contact us and we’ll see if there are additional 3D Virtual Tours, video, floor plans etc. to view so you get a sense of the property beyond the regular pictures.
- Driving by a property and the surrounding neighborhood will be helpful in getting a sense if you want to go in and see more.
- When you’re ready to view a property in person let us know. We’ll meet you at the property and also be bringing hand sanitizer, gloves, and booties. We ask that you also bring your own mask. All social distancing requirements will be kept by staying at least 6’ apart, while also honoring any requests of the seller. Some sellers are posting signs asking things like to not touch any doorknobs or light switches.
- In some cases be prepared to write an offer “subject to interior inspection”. For this step a seller wants to have an offer first and (assuming it is accepted) then the property can be viewed. This is more common with properties that are owner occupied, at risk, and/or medically fragile occupants. And just to put you at ease, the offer can easily be rescinded should you not want to move forward after the viewing. In this instance, if you do love the property, you’re that much closer to making it yours.
- Once an offer is accepted, there will be the home inspection. Most inspectors will be alone during this process and the report will be done via technology, as opposed to you also being at the property.
- Lending guidelines are shifting and we’ll be there to assist with all aspects of this process.
When you get your keys, we won’t do a traditional handoff but we’ll still be there to do a social distant celebratory toast!
Feel free to contact us with any questions!