HOME OWNERSHIP: YOUR FIRST YEAR
10 Things to Remember During Your First Year of Home Ownership
- Hire a locksmith to change your locks.
- Switch all utilities (electric, gas, water/sewer, garbage, cable/internet, etc.) into your name as of your move-in date.
- Be sure to change your address with the post office and anyone you receive bills from (bank, credit card companies, student loans, etc.). USPS will forward mail to your new address for up to 6 months.
- Make note of where all your shut-off valves and electric panel are in your new home.
- Change all smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
- Have your heating, air conditioning, and all major appliances serviced if not done recently. And be sure to change your furnace air filter regularly!
- Hire a yard care company, or purchase any yard care tools you may need for each season (including lawn mower, weed-wacker, shovel, etc.).
- Check and clean your gutters as needed.
- Check and clean your dryer vent regularly.
- Winterize your home during cold months by disconnecting and insulating outdoor faucets.