FIVE ON FRIDAY: KEEP COOL, PORTLAND!
If getting out of Dodge for the entire weekend isn’t an option as the temperatures rise, here are five ideas to keep cool during this weekend’s heat wave in Portland.
1. Summer Breeze: We already know being strategic with opening and closing windows and window coverings on hot days can help keep your home cooler, but did you know your ceiling fan also help cool your home? Set it to rotate counter-clockwise to push cooler air down. Another option: create a draft in your home by using an attic fan or window fan to help force the hot air out by drawing in the cool air overnight and early in the morning.
2. Jump & Slide: Let the kids – big and small – have fun by making your own slip’n’slide. Place a kiddie pool in the shade for a little protection from the sun between runs.
3. Day Trippers: Take a day trip to one of the many nearby nearby waterfalls and enjoy the coolness of old growth forests. Want an easy hike with kiddos in tow? Check out one of these trails or visit the always cool Audubon Society of Portland, located in Forest Park.
4. Splish-Splash: Visit one of Portland’s many splash-pad parks or community pools.
5. Escape: Take a mid-day trip to the movies (pro-tip: buy your tickets online to avoid the lines or sold out shows!), visit a local library or book store. Adults only? Grab a deck of cards and visit a local hotel bar. They always have the AC on.
Bonus: Here are 20+ no-cook meal ideas so you can leave your oven off and step away from the grill this weekend. Enjoy!
Bonus Part 2: we have an open house this Sunday, from 11a – 1p, at this sweet Woodstock bungalow with an amazing backyard.