FIVE ON FRIDAY: HEAT WAVE EDITION
We’re getting proactive with this heat wave and sharing a few favorite ways we’re keeping cool this August.
1. Create Cool: If you don’t have an air conditioner, but heavily considering it, here’s a reference guide for picking out the right size. While in-window units are popular, portable units allow you to move it where you need it the most. And don’t forget to lower blinds and keep the curtains closed during the day to help keep the heat out.
2. Cool Cooking: Gazpacho could your saving grace. It’s easy to prep in the morning and is all the better after sitting in the fridge for a few hours, when the flavors have a chance to meld. Tomatoes are in season. Sprinkle a little feta on it. This chilled soup offers a bit of a relief while your home is cooling off in the evening.
3. Cool Retreat: Instead of getting caught up in Saturday morning’s mass exodus to the coast’s beaches, head out once it starts heating up. This way you’ll enjoy that cool morning air before closing up your home for the day – and miss a bit of the traffic. When you head back, say after dinner, you’ll miss the heat peaking in the city – and can open up your home in (slightly) cooler temperatures.
4. Cool Culture: This heat offers a great reason to check out the newest exhibits at the Portland Museum of Art, the Pompeii exhibit at OMSI, or to roam through the Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation.
5. Play Cool: Along with numerous splash-pads and pools, or setting up your backyard sprinklers and inflatable pool, there’s an amazing number of swimming holes, lakes and waterways an easy drive away.
Don’t forget to check out Portland General Electric’s blog for great tips to keep your home and family safe during a heat wave.
Looking for a new home? We’re hosting two open houses this weekend! Visit us in Alameda on Saturday, 11a-1p at a charming 2-bedroom with 2.5 bathrooms home, and in Woodstock on Sunday, 1-3p at 3-bedroom & 2.5-bathroom home full of great potential. Click the links for details and addresses. Have questions? Give a call!
Have a great weekend, friends!