Here’s our checklist of home maintenance tips to give you a jump start on Winter and keep your home in tip-top shape. And be sure to check the rules in your city or town to see what homeowners are responsible for during snowy days!
- Rake and compost fallen leaves to prevent slips.
- Check and repair entry stairs and railing.
- Inspect and replace outdoor lighting.
- Shovel snow and add salt to walkways as needed*.
*Note: In Portland, the sidewalk in front of your property is considered homeowner responsibility. In other words, if someone were to slip and fall due to unmoved snow, the homeowner would be held responsible, not the city.
(Scroll down for exterior and interior home maintenance lists…)
Exterior Home Maintenance:
- Seal any cracks in walls or foundation.
- Update or repair weather-stripping.
- Clean leaves and debris from gutters.
- Cover and insulate hose bibs.
- Protect or move outdoor furniture.
- Remove and clean window screens.
- Cover air conditioner.
- Store seasonal yard tools.
Interior Home Maintenance:
- Protect indoor flooring by adding an interior entry mat to collect outdoor water and debris.
- Check and replace smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries.
- Have your fireplace inspected and cleaned.
- Check and repair attic insulation if needed.
- Check and repair caulking around doors and windows.
- Insulate pipes near windows and doors, or other unheated areas.
- Reverse ceiling fan to turn clockwise (this pushes heated air down, as opposed to up).
- Keep the thermostat at 55 degrees or higher when away from your home to prevent pipes from freezing.