Living in Portland gives us the opportunity to enjoy every season the way they were meant to be enjoyed! This means autumn’s warm colors and cooler days and winter’s crisp air and festivities. But each transition into the next season comes with its own annual upkeep to keep the inside and outside of our homes looking good and running smoothly!
Now is the perfect time of year to get a head-start on important home maintenance to keep your home looking good and working efficiently. Save money on your energy bills, prevent unexpected repairs, and relax with your pumpkin ale in hand knowing your home is looking good and ready for cooler weather!
Need help getting started? Here’s our checklist of home maintenance tips to give you a jump start on autumn and keep your home in tip-top shape.
• Rake and compost fallen leaves to prevent slips.
• Inspect and replace outdoor lighting.
• Trim tree branches in preparation for rain and snow.
Exterior Home Maintenance:
• Clean or replace old entry mats.
• Clean outdoor dryer vent.
• Clean leaves and debris from gutters.
• Disconnect hose from hose bib and drain water.
• Tighten home-affixing hardware.
• Check and address any damage, rust, or peeling paint.
(continue below for the home's interior checklist)
Interior Home Maintenance:
• Check windows and doors for cracks, seal as needed.
• Repair or update weather-stripping.
• Inspect and clean appliances (tip: to clean the interior of a washing machine, we run an empty cycle with a cup of vinegar).
• Re-caulk around the shower/tub, sink, and cabinets, if needed.
• Dust fans and light fixtures.
• Inspect all carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to make sure they are in working order.
• Clear any dust or debris from radiators and grates.
• Replace your HVAC air filter.
• Have your furnace inspected.
We’re always available to talk through any additional questions you may have. Don’t hesitate to reach out via email or phone.
Our end-of-year goal is to reach 100 YouTube subscribers! Help us reach our goal by subscribing here. Don't forget to turn on the notification bell to get all the updates!
Join us on Tuesdays at 1p for our "Dear Claire" Facebook Live series!