Living in Portland gives us the opportunity to enjoy every season the way they were meant to be enjoyed! This means autumn’s warm colors and cooler days and winter’s crisp air and festivities. But each transition into the next season comes with its own annual upkeep to keep the inside and outside of our homes looking good and running smoothly!
Now is the perfect time of year to get a head-start on important home maintenance to keep your home looking good and working efficiently. Save money on your energy bills, prevent unexpected repairs, and relax with your pumpkin ale in hand knowing your home is looking good and ready for cooler weather!
Need help getting started? Here’s our checklist of home maintenance tips to give you a jump start on autumn and keep your home in tip-top shape.
Outdoor Home Maintenance
- Dust and scrub porch
- Wash and store patio furniture
- Replace faulty light bulbs
- Trim tree branches
- Turn off outdoor water when not in use
- Rake (and compost!) leaves
- Optional: planting bulbs for spring
- Check windows and doors for cracks
- Update weather-stripping
- Clean or remove old entryway mats
- Clean outdoor dryer vent
- Clean leaves and debris from gutters
- Clear any obstructions in the drain pipes
- Check and address any damage, rust, or peeling paint
- Tighten home-affixing hardware
- Organize and store tools
- Label storage boxes
- Tighten garage door hardware
- Repaint or clean the garage door
- Check and replace weather stripping
- Clear away outside debris
- De-clutter the interior
(continue below for the home's interior checklist)
Indoor Home Maintenance
- Sweep and mop under and behind appliances
- Clean interior and exterior of the fridge
- Deep clean the dishwasher and garbage disposal
- Dust tops of cabinets and fridge
- Inspect drains and appliances
- Wash shower curtain/liner
- Re-caulk around the shower, sink, or cabinets
- Update your medicine cabinet with cold and flu supplies
- Check for leaks or clogged drains
- Clean the inside of your washing machine (tip: we run an empty cycle with a cup of vinegar!)
- Restock any supplies
- Clean moldings and baseboards
- Donate clothing
- Clean and repair window sills and weather-stripping
- Cleaning fans and light fixtures
- Steam clean carpets
- Clean and wax wood floors
- Change and inspect all CO and smoke detectors
- Clear any dust or debris from radiators and grates
- Replace your HVAC air filter
- Clear or tidy any clutter
- Clean window wells
- Check for any large wall cracks
- Schedule a furnace inspection
Wish to download our checklist? Click here!
We’re always available to talk through any additional questions you may have. Don’t hesitate to reach out via email or phone.
Our end-of-year goal is to reach 100 YouTube subscribers! Help us reach our goal by subscribing here. Don't forget to turn on the notification bell to get all the updates!
Join us on Tuesdays at 1p for our "Dear Claire" Facebook Live series!